Nursing Clinical Internship at Avera Heart Hospital
At Avera Heart Hospital, you don’t have to wait to graduate in order to start your nursing career. We offer Nursing Clinical Internship (NCI) opportunities.
If you’re one or two semesters away from nursing school graduation, you can apply to experience first-hand what it’s like to work in the exciting field of nursing through our paid summer internship. You’ll be paired with a registered nurse preceptor and will participate in orientation, direct patient care and reflective practice sessions.
This eight- to nine-week program is offered from May through July each year. NCI students work a full-time schedule of 36 – 40 hours each week with rotating 10- or 12-hour shifts, depending on area (days, evenings, nights and weekends).
And it doesn’t end there. After your internship, you can take advantage of a variety of opportunities to develop your health care career.
Why Participate in the Nursing Clinical Internship?
Nursing students benefit from a hands-on approach to learning during the NCI. Take what you learned in the classroom and apply it to real-world situations while you:
- Refine and gain confidence in your nursing skills under the direct supervision of a registered nurse mentor
- “Walk in the shoes” of a nurse while being supported by helpful mentors and supervisors
- See first-hand how nurses are valuable members of the health care team
You may also be able to receive college credit through a partnership with a local university.
Am I Eligible?
You may be eligible to participate in the Nursing Clinical Internship, if you:
- Are currently enrolled and have completed all but the final one or two semesters of a Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or National League for Nursing (NLN) accredited nursing program
- Are available to participate May through July
- Provide proof of a high school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Complete the application process and meet all of the job-related health requirements
- Receive acceptable evaluations from your references
The application process is open from Aug. 24 – Sept. 11, 2020 at 5 p.m. All materials must be submitted by the close date.
The Nursing Clinical Internship program is pending approval by the South Dakota Board of Nursing.
How to Apply for the Clinical Nursing Internship
If you meet the eligibility requirements, take the following steps to apply.
- Application: Complete the Avera Heart Hospital employment application on www.averajobs.org. Click the for "search for jobs” button. Enter 2005944 in the Keyword Quick Search box.
- Resume: Upload a resume with your application.
- Note: Please do not copy and paste your resume to the bottom of your application.
- Letter of Academic Standing: Download the 2020 Letter of Academic Standing and email it to your Academic Advisor to complete and submit by the application deadline.
- References: Complete reference requests. This process will begin after you complete the online application. You’ll receive an email from NoReply@Healthcaresource.com. (This will be sent to the email address on your application. Please check your junk folder.) Follow the steps in the email to submit your references by the application deadline above. Please follow up with your references to confirm that they received the email notification and are able to complete it by the deadline.