Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center Inpatient Rehabilitation
To find out if you or a loved one may benefit from inpatient rehabilitation, ask your physician for a referral.
To start the admission process, request a tour or find more information, call 605-322-2100.
Map & Directions
1000 E. 23rd St
Sioux Falls, SD 57105
(5th floor of Prairie Center)
View a map and find directions.
After an acute hospital stay due to critical illness or injury, rehabilitation is often the next step in regaining as much mobility, speech, life skills and independence as possible. Learn how to adapt to a new life through the compassionate and expert care you’ll find at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center Inpatient Rehabilitation.
You’ll benefit from our experienced program – which has provided accredited* care for over 30 years – in a new, state-of-the-art location on the fifth floor of the Prairie Center on the Avera McKennan campus in Sioux Falls, SD.
Rehabilitation after Illness or Injury
You or a loved one may be eligible for inpatient rehabilitation after experiencing a debilitating illness or injury, such as:
Our services are available to a wide range of ages – from adolescents to older adults. To find out if inpatient rehab is right for you, ask your physician for a referral.
When you are returning to the activities you enjoy, trust a facility dedicated to high quality and compassionate care. But can you measure quality?
This report describes the kinds of patients we treat and the level of outcomes our facility has achieved over the past year.
Multidisciplinary Team Approach
From the moment you are approved for inpatient rehabilitation, you’ll have a multidisciplinary team of rehabilitation specialists guiding and monitoring your care 24/7.
After a comprehensive evaluation, your team will work with you and your family to establish goals and develop a personalized treatment plan.
Board-certified physiatrists and nurse practitioners will lead your team and monitor medical care which will include three hours of therapy, five days a week. You’ll also have the opportunity to work with our experienced:
- Community reintegration specialist
- Physical, occupational and speech therapists
- Registered nurses
- Patient care coordinators
- Social workers
Family members are also considered part of your care team and are encouraged to be involved in your therapy sessions and activities.
Advanced Therapy Technology
Benefit from the latest in therapy and rehabilitation technology to help you regain day-to-day function, including:
- AlterG Bionic Leg™ to increase mobility and strength
- Functional electrical stimulation (FES) upper and lower extremity cycles to restore functionality after a spinal cord injury, stroke, etc.
- Neuro Sensorimotor Integrator to improve visual balance and neuro-cognitive function
- Solo-Step™, Inc., balance and gait system to provide stability and protection during rehabilitation
- VitalStim® Therapy for oral strengthening to improve swallowing and speech function
In addition, our community reintegration program supports and prepares you for the transition from the hospital setting to community activities such as shopping, dining, etc. Patients learn these skills in various therapeutic areas designed to simulate activities and barriers in the home and community, including:
- Environmental barriers of curbs, ramps and stairs
- Full kitchen and dining area
- Grocery store
- Indoor car
- Laundry room
Take a Virtual Tour
Amenities for Your Comfort
During an inpatient rehabilitation stay – which typically lasts 12-14 days – you’ll enjoy our healing, caring environment and amenities, such as:
- Private patient rooms with large windows, private bathrooms with large roll-in showers for easy access and heated floors, and individual temperature and lighting control
- 5,200-square-foot therapy gym
- Room with ceiling lift for bariatric patients or patients with spinal cord injury
- One quiet treatment room with adjustable lights and sound-proofing for less stimulation and distractions
- Two speech therapy rooms for privacy
- Buffet-style café for patients and visitors
- Roof-top garden
In addition to therapy, you’ll also have opportunities to participate in educational classes, support groups, social events and holiday celebrations.