Avera Behavioral Health Center
Avera has 50 years of experience as a leader in behavioral health care in the region. Opened in 2006, the Avera Behavioral Health Center is a state-of-the-art 110-bed psychiatric facility offering both inpatient and outpatient behavioral health care. Specialized inpatient units are available for children, adolescents, adults and senior citizens. This is the only multi-specialty facility within a 200-mile radius of Sioux Falls.
HeARTS in Healing Event
HeARTS in Healing is an annual event that benefits programs and patients of the Avera Behavioral Health Center. Each year in February, supporters gather for an evening of fine food, inspirational stories and an auction of locally commissioned art and other silent auction items and gift packages.
You’ll enjoy a serene and beautiful design that focuses on care for the whole person – body, mind and spirit. An original art collection, indoor waterfall, chapel and bright atmosphere promote an environment of respect and dignity.
Get a Free, Confidential Assessment
Discover how Avera’s behavioral health services can help you or a loved one with our comprehensive yet individualized approach. Schedule an appointment with one of our skilled, compassionate professionals by calling us 24/7 toll-free.
In this safe, therapeutic environment, visitor hallways are separate from the main foyer, and inpatient areas are separated further by secured doors. Most rooms are private, accessed from welcoming and comfortable common areas.
Specialized Services and Technology
In addition to inpatient care, Avera Behavioral Health Center offers partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient care. Counseling and therapy are offered for individuals, children, teens and families for needs such as marriage or relationship difficulties, grief, depression, anxiety and more.
Addiction Recovery is offered different levels for individuals, couples or families affected by substance abuse and/or compulsive gambling. Daytime or evening options are available.
- Intensive Outpatient Program: An ASAM 2.1 Level of Care/Primary Treatment process that involves group therapy sessions and individual and/or couples counseling.
- Early Intervention Group: An ASAM 1.0 Level of Care designed to help participants gain insight about substance abuse, addiction and recovery-related concepts. Group therapy is combined with individual counseling services.
- Relapse Prevention Group: Designed for individuals who have completed primary treatment and achieved stability in early recovery. This group program is focused on helping clients cope with personal issues while safeguarding the gains they have made relative to relapse prevention.
- Pain Management Groups: Structured group therapy designed to assist individuals with medication and substance use issues as well as mental health-related concerns. Biofeedback treatment services also are offered when appropriate.
- Professional Services: Specialized assistance is available to health care/licensed professionals who are experiencing the adverse effects from a substance abuse or addiction-related condition.
As a member of the Hazelden Betty Ford Patient Care Network, Avera leadership, staff, patients, families and communities also have access to tools, resources and collaborative consultations from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation – the nation’s leading nonprofit addiction treatment provider.
Addiction Care Center
Sioux Falls is also home to the Addiction Care Center on the Avera on Louise Health Campus. This world-class residential care center is set to open in mid-2019 and will offer inpatient addiction care for adults seeking professional help for addiction to alcohol and other drugs.
To make a donation towards this exciting project, please contact Avera McKennan Foundation.
Borderline Personality Disorder
Group treatment for people with borderline personality disorder traits includes:
- STEPPS™, a 21-week program to help individuals relearn how to manage emotions and behavior.
- STAIRWAYS™, a year-long program for persons who have graduated from STEPPS™.
- STRIDES™, ongoing treatment for graduates of STAIRWAYS™.
To register for one of these groups, call Behavioral Health Services at 605-322-4079.
Technologically Advanced Options
- ECT (electro-convulsive therapy) is a treatment for certain psychological disorders in which our highly-trained professionals utilize electrical current to produce a closely supervised, medically induced seizure. ECT has been shown to be effective in treating major depression, bipolar disorder and schizo-affective disorder. We place a priority on safety, dignity, privacy, comfort and convenience.
- TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation) is a safe, effective treatment for depression and has been changing lives for those suffering from depression throughout the country. TMS is for people whose depression symptoms have not been helped by medication, or for people who cannot tolerate the side effects of antidepressants.
Arts In Healing
Experience innovative and creative healing through our Arts In Healing program. You and your therapist can select the approaches that work best for you, including:
- Expressive therapy – Uses creative arts such as storytelling, dance, music, drama, poetry, movement and more to foster personal growth, development and healing
- Music therapy – Provides healing and expression through creating, singing and moving to and/or listening to music
- Art therapy – Focuses on using the use of art materials such as paint, chalk and markers to explore alternate ways of communicating thoughts and feelings
- Recreational therapy – Helps reduce depression, stress and anxiety, and recover basic motor confidence and social interaction skills through exercises and stretching
Offices are on site for Avera’s major psychiatric groups, Avera Medical Group University Psychiatry Associates and Avera Medical Group Midwest Psychiatric Medicine, making the Behavioral Health Center a one-stop location for care.
The main floor of the Avera Behavioral Health Center, also known as the Light Court, is home to the Bistro, open 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Bistro offers daily breakfast and lunch specials, as well as sandwiches, soup, rolls, fruit, yogurt, snack items, coffee and beverages.
Support & Education
- Friday Forums are offered once a month, free of charge at the Avera Behavioral Health Center. View a calendar of upcoming forums or view past programs.
- Mental Health Family Education for adults who have been impacted by a loved one’s mental illness is offered the 2nd Thursday of every month, from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m., in Room #1583.
- Grief and loss support programs are provided for adults, children and adolescents, and those who have experienced infant loss. To learn more call 605-322-4074 or 1-800-691-4336.
Excellent Career & Volunteer Opportunities
Join Avera, the Upper Midwest's health care leader, for an inspiring and exciting career. Search the possibilities below:
Avera also offers many classes for health care professionals and other opportunities for health care professionals, including programs for pharmacy residency, radiologic technology and emergency medical services.
Free, Confidential Assessment Line
Below is a list of behavioral warning signs everyone should know.
- Acting withdrawn, sad or overly anxious
- Extreme difficulty interacting with friends and/or siblings
- Substantial mood swings
- Persistent drop in school performance
- Change in sleeping and/or eating patterns
- Increased or persistent use of alcohol or drugs
- Persistent aggressive behavior
- threats to self or others
- Hallucinations, paranoia or delusion
- Other sudden or extreme changes
If a mental health problem is suspected, don’t hesitate to call our 24-hour assessment line at 1-800-691-4336 or 605-322-4065.