Avera Cancer Institute at Sioux Falls
Avera Cancer Institute is dedicated to providing the highest quality of care through prevention and early detection, evidence-based therapies and a multidisciplinary approach guided by the philosophy of healing the whole person. Across the Avera system, Avera Cancer Institute has six major regional locations and 40 outreach sites. In Sioux Falls, Avera Cancer Institute is located in the Prairie Center.
Contact the Avera Cancer Institute
Find out more about how you can get comprehensive cancer care services under one roof in a beautiful, patient-centered environment at Avera Cancer Institute in Sioux Falls.
Take an online tour of the Prairie Center located on the Avera McKennan Hospital campus.
Take a tour
Avera Cancer Institute at Sioux Falls is accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.
An Institute Designed for Cancer Patients
Beautiful and inspiring, Avera Cancer Institute at Sioux Falls is a comprehensive care center which provides all aspects of cancer care under one roof including:
This environment of healing is designed for patient comfort, privacy and dignity. Patients have the choice between receiving chemotherapy infusions in private, or in the company of other patients, or family and friends.
WIN Consortium: A Collaboration of Worldwide Genomics Experts
As part of a global consortium, Avera Cancer Institute joins others around the world with a shared goal: curing cancer through targeted therapies, based on the science of genomics.
Avera Cancer Institute is the fifth medical institution in the United States to join the Worldwide Innovative Networking (WIN) Consortium. The WIN Consortium is a global network of leading academic, industry, insurance and non-profit research organizations working to make personalized cancer care a reality for patients worldwide.
Avera Cancer Institute at Sioux Falls is equipped with the most advanced cancer care technology available:
- Gamma Knife: Offering “precision without the incision,” Elekta Gamma Knife Perfexion™ is an extremely accurate form of radiation therapy that’s considered the gold standard for non-invasive treatment of brain tumors and other disorders.
- Elekta Versa HD™ Linear Accelerator: This powerful linear accelerator offers specialized capabilities, including stereotactic body radiation therapy, stereotactic radiosurgery and VMAT, which “wraps” the tumor with radiation dose using changing position and speed as beams sweep in arcs around the patient, providing faster delivery at an ideal dose while minimizing exposure to healthy tissues.
- Brachytherapy Suite: A private suite is dedicated to brachytherapy – a very tailored, localized radiation treatment that involves placement of an applicator at the tumor site, and delivery of a radioactive seed that emits radiation from the internal location.
- IORT: Electron-based intraoperative radiation therapy is used in the treatment of early-stage breast cancer to shorten the course of follow-up radiation treatments after lumpectomy. For some women age 60 and older, IORT serves as a one-time treatment at the time of surgery. IORT also is used to treat certain gynecologic cancers and advanced cases of colorectal cancer.
Full Spectrum of Breast Services
Avera Breast Center locations through the Avera Cancer Institute at Sioux Falls offer the full range of breast diagnostic technology, including 3-D mammography, contrast enhanced spectral mammography (CESM), ultrasound and breast MRI. Other key breast services include a Breast Cancer Second Opinion, High-Risk Breast Prevention Clinic and specialized breast surgeons.
Tumor Specific Patient Navigators
If you receive a cancer diagnosis, you may benefit from Avera Cancer Institute Sioux Falls’ Patient Navigation Program, which includes specially-trained nurses who work one on one with cancer patients to answer questions and provide guidance. Count on a Patient Navigator to:
- Provide education in order to help you understand a diagnosis and make treatment decisions
- Facilitate appointments
- Recommend cancer resources and support services
To connect with one of our Patient Navigators, call:
- Precision Oncology Patient Navigator at 605-322-3397
- Breast Patient Navigator at 605-322-3806 or 605-322-3809
- Gastrointestinal Patient Navigator at 605-322-7334 or 605-322-1355
- Lung Patient Navigator at 605-322-6991
- Genitourinary Patient Navigation at 605-322-6900
For 24/7 cancer support, make a free call to the Avera Cancer Institute Navigation Center at 888-422-1410.
Customized Palliative Care for Your Comfort
Our palliative care team – including a palliative medicine physician – offers patients of any age and their loved ones an extra layer of support at any stage of cancer. They’re available to help with:
- Symptom management
- Emotional support
- Education on community programs
- Advance care planning
You’ll experience numerous supportive services, including social workers, patient advocates, art therapy, nutrition counseling, and integrative therapies that include therapeutic massage, acupuncture, aromatherapy, mind-body movement and more. There are also numerous support groups and programs, and survivorship care.
Innerpath Store and Wig Salon
The Innerpath Store features unique items for cancer patients, including hats, lotions, scarves, supplements, aromatherapy and inspirational gifts. For store inquiries call 605-322-8470.
The Wig Salon provides natural looking, high-quality wigs to help cancer patients cope with the physical changes and emotional experience of hair loss. A free wig and consultation are offered to patients who will lose their hair due to cancer treatment, thanks to proceeds from the Avera Race Against Breast Cancer.
Wig Salon Consultant, Del Lomheim
Del Lomheim, licensed cosmetologist and wig consultant, is available in the Wig Salon for consultation to help choose the perfect wig for each patient.
Del has over 25 years of experience in fitting, cutting, and styling wigs. Devoting her cosmetology skill solely to wig design, Del is not only a professional with wigs, but also has a unique understanding of cancer survivors’ struggles and needs.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with Del at the Wig Salon, please visit us in the Avera Cancer Institute or call 605-322-8469.
Avera Cancer Survivorship Clinic
The Avera Cancer Institute provides whole person care —mind, body and spirit—during your cancer diagnosis and treatment. After completing active treatment, we assist you in your transition to follow-up care, and provide holistic, long-term survivorship care. The Avera Cancer Survivorship Clinic focuses on the following five areas:
- Surveillance for reoccurrence
- Screening for secondary cancers
- Assessment and management of physical and psychological long-term and late effects of cancer treatment
- Health promotion
- Care coordination
Your multidisciplinary survivorship support team includes a dietitian, health coaches, financial advocates, social workers, oncology outpatient therapist, chaplain and 24/7 navigation center access. Each survivor is unique and we want to ensure we meet all your needs as you transition out of active cancer treatment.
The Avera Survivorship Clinic connects you to needed screening services, primary care and specialists, therapists, fitness programs, support groups, integrative medicine and more. Call 888-422-1410 to learn more today.
Enjoy numerous amenities at the Prairie Center including the Quarry Café, comfortable seating in the fireplace area, meeting rooms, performance stage, prayer and meditation chapel, outdoor meditation labyrinth, changing digital art exhibits and more.
When deciding where to receive your cancer treatment, you want a program that is nationally accredited and even exceeds the average national outcomes in cancer care. The Avera Cancer Institute offers that program. We have published our outcomes in cancer care for your review. Read the latest Avera Cancer Institute Annual Report.
Work at Avera
Join Avera, the Upper Midwest's health care leader, for an inspiring and exciting career. Search the possibilities below:
Avera also offers many classes for health care professionals and other opportunities for health care professionals, including programs for pharmacy residency, radiologic technology and emergency medical services.