Avera Medical Group Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Contact Avera Medical Group Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Receive expert rehabilitative care after a stroke, spinal cord injury or other debilitating event at Avera Medical Group Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation in Sioux Falls, SD. Contact us at:
After a stroke or spinal cord injury or other debilitating event, transitioning into everyday life can be a daunting prospect, as you relearn tasks such as walking, dressing and eating. Avera Medical Group Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation is a department of Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center.
To make the most complete recover possible, it is important to have an expert you can trust guiding your course of rehabilitation and recovery.
Avera's physical medicine & rehabilitation specialists usually serve patients in three primary ways:
- Diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal injuries and pain syndromes, from traumatic injuries to surgical recovery to sports and/or work injuries to arthritis or low back pain.
- Electrodiagnostic medicine - Procedures used for evaluation of various neurological disorders.
- Rehabilitation of patients with severe impairments. Your Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation specialist will oversee a team of rehabilitation professionals including physical therapists, occupational therapists, recreational therapists, nurses, psychologists, social workers, speech-language pathologists and others.
We provide inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services for people with musculoskeletal and neurological disorders including multiple trauma, stroke, osteoarthritis, acute pain, amputation, spasticity, traumatic and non-traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries, post-concussion syndrome, and other conditions. Our services include:
- Electrodiagnostics (EMG/NCS) - Evaluation of radiculopathy, plexopathy, carpal tunnel syndrome, peripheral nerve injuries, or to characterize peripheral neuropathies
- Acute spine care - Evaluation and management of acute or subacute spine pain
- Worker's compensation - Management of recover after work-related injuries
- Independent Medical Examinations (IME)
- Pain assessment and recommendations
- Spasticity management
- Impairment ratings
Our medical services include numerous injections for treatment and pain management:
- Lumbar epidural injections
- Facet blocks
- Sacrioliac injections
- Botulinum toxin injections for spasticity and neuromuscular disease
- Trigger point injections
- Intra-articular steroid injections
- Greater and lesser occipital nerve blocks
- Intrathecal pump management
- Intra-articular viscosupplement injections (Hyalgan or Synvisc)
- Lumbar sympathetic blocks
Prosthetics & Brace Clinic
Our prosthetic and brace clinic offers you a one-stop care and management option tailored for individual physical therapy and orthotic needs. Patients who may benefit from this clinic include: patients who have had an amputation, stroke patients, or any patient who has or uses a prosthetic device or brace. A team consisting of a physician, physical therapist and prosthetist/orthotist will:
- Assess prosthetic/orthotic needs.
- Evaluate patients' psychical mobility using their prosthetic device and educate the patient and family on its proper use/care.
- Provide care and recommendations for the patients skin and pain management issues.
- Assist with improving activity and quality of life.
To save time, you can download, print and fill out patient forms in advance including: patient information form and health questionnaire.
Work at Avera
Join Avera, the Upper Midwest's health care leader, for an inspiring and exciting career. Search the possibilities below:
Avera also offers many classes for health care professionals and other opportunities for health care professionals, including programs for pharmacy residency, radiologic technology and emergency medical services.