Avera Specialty Pharmacy
Welcome to Avera Specialty Pharmacy where you can find specialty medications for chronic conditions and complete retail pharmacy services for the public.
Avera Specialty Pharmacy is nationally accredited by URAC and ACHC, promoting health care quality through accreditation, education, and measurement.
Specialty medications typically require special handling, administration or monitoring beyond that which a traditional retail pharmacy can provide. You'll benefit from the expertise and personalized care you’ll find at Avera Specialty Pharmacy.
Visit us on the ground floor of Avera McKennan’s Plaza 2 during our normal business hours listed on this page. 24-hour patient and physician support is available at 605-322-8300. Avera Specialty Pharmacy serves South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, Arizona, Texas and Florida. You can also view our patient handbook to learn more about patient rights and responsibilities and frequently asked questions.
Download the Avera Rx App
For a simple and convenient way to manage medications – for your entire family – sign up for AveraRx. With a free AveraRx account, you can easily:
- Order refills
- Receive a message when your prescription is ready
- Set up reminders to take your medications
- View an up-to-date list of your prescriptions
Already have an AveraRx account? Login from your computer here.
Pharmacy Care for Complex Conditions
The Avera Specialty Pharmacy specializes in the pharmacy care of chronic, rare or complex conditions that require specialty medications. Our pharmacists are experienced in working with a variety of health care teams to make sure you receive the medication you need. Examples include:
Dispose of Your Unused Medication
Want to safely throw away unused or expired medications? Learn about blue, drop-off MedSafe receptacles available at most Avera Pharmacy locations during regular pharmacy hours.
By choosing Avera Specialty Pharmacy, you'll have access to the specialty medications you need, as well as routine prescriptions, all in one location. Both you and your provider(s) also have support available 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 605-322-8300 or 855-442-8372. Contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are committed to providing you with personalized care, clinical expertise, quality products and outstanding customer service. Our staff works with you, your prescriber and your insurance company to ensure your needs are met.
Enrollment is easy and free! Call or ask your physician to phone, fax or e-prescribe your prescription to our pharmacy. Our staff will call to welcome you to our program and provide important information about your enrollment. We will also:
- Complete an insurance benefit investigation on your behalf (including Medicare Part D)
- Coordinate, manage and follow-up with insurance benefits so you don’t have to
- Obtain prior authorization, if required
- Work to find support for financially challenged patients
- Deliver your medication and provide needed medical equipment to you at no extra cost
Prescription Refills, Transfers, New Prescriptions or Order Status Inquiries
Call us at 855-442-8372 or 605-322-8300 if you need to:
- Request a new prescription. You can also ask your physician to phone, fax or e-prescribe your prescription to our pharmacy.
- Request a prescription refill. We also offer refill reminder calls.
- Request a prescription transfer. Please include the name of your medication and the pharmacy you'd like it transferred from.
- Check the status of your prescription.
For existing prescriptions, please have the prescription number and/or name of the medication available.
We can arrange shipping to a location of your choice or you may pick up your medication in person.
Prior Authorization Assistance
You can rest assured knowing that we work in conjunction with your provider’s office to obtain required approval documentation from your insurance provider. With our experience and understanding of this complicated process, we’ll go above and beyond to partner with your insurance company on your behalf.
We collaborate with your provider’s office to verify whether or not your insurance covers the prescribed medication(s).
If a prescription is not included under your specific insurance plan, we’ll identify other ways to help you get the medication you need. You’ll benefit from access to a variety of options through our diverse network of resources.
If we cannot fill your prescription, we’ll notify you and your provider’s office right away. Mandated prescriptions will then be sent to the pharmacy your insurance requires the medication to be filled.
Our therapy management program offers personalized education and support from nurses and pharmacists to ensure you receive the most benefit from your therapy. If you choose to participate in this program, you'll receive:
- Check-in calls from a nurse case manager knowledgeable about your condition and specialty medication
- Information about the safe and effective use and handling of your medication
- Assistance in learning how to take or inject your medications correctly and offer advice to help prevent and manage medication side effects and injection site reactions
- Refill reminder phone calls to ensure you always have enough medication on hand
- A team of dedicated staff always available to answer any questions you might have
Information for Providers
Avera Specialty Pharmacy specializes in pharmacy care for patients with complex conditions that require certain high-cost biotech medications. These specialty medications typically require special handling, administration or monitoring beyond that which a traditional retail pharmacy can provide. Our staff will work closely with you, your patient and the patient’s insurance company to help streamline the process and maximize success. We provide personalized care, clinical support, quality products and outstanding customer service focused on patient adherence to therapy.
Just a few of the benefits:
- Quick and easy ordering by fax, phone or e-prescribing
- Friendly, local pharmacy staff who are trained in working with specialty medications
- Prior authorization completion
- Patient reimbursement assistance to ensure patient receives the maximum benefit from his or her insurance provider
- Patient financial assistance to identify additional payment resources in order to lessen the financial burden for patients
- Medication adherence monitoring to ensure patient is taking the medication correctly
- Medication side effect monitoring to communicate any issues patient may be experiencing while taking the prescription
- Patient education materials to help patient understand the purpose of the medication
- Refill reminders to patients to ensure timely medication availability
- Clinical support to help physicians streamline the care delivery process
- Interdisciplinary team member involvement to assist physicians in their patients’ care plan
- Shipping in a temperature-controlled package to the location of choice
- 24-hour, on-call pharmacist available to answer medication questions
- Lab monitoring
Information for Payors
As members of the health system-based specialty pharmacy network, Excelera, the Avera Specialty Pharmacy brings comprehensive care to patients with complex conditions right at the point of care. By implementing clinical care protocols, using specialized data management systems, providing high-touch service and integrating providers, we ensure the best clinical and financial outcomes for your patients.