North Central Heart - A Division of Avera Heart Hospital
Visitation is limited to two visitors per patient in clinics.
40 Years of Helping You Love Longer
No two people are alike, which is why the team of cardiovascular experts at North Central Heart works to treat each unique situation.
As clinicians with specialized training in heart and vascular care, we're pleased you and your physician selected us for this special care. The North Central Heart team is the largest in South Dakota. Our cardiac and vascular specialists provide a team-based approach to specifically diagnose and treat each person’s unique cardiovascular disorder, from the common to the complex.
Since 1981, North Central Heart, a partial owner of CMS 5-star rated Avera Heart Hospital, has been leading the way in cardiac and vascular medicine. We have earned national recognition for exceptional care that has improved the lives of thousands of people suffering from cardiovascular diseases.
Over the years, North Central Heart clinicians have been on the forefront of innovative procedures and developments helping to shape heart care in the region. We maintain a commitment to staying on the cutting edge of cardiovascular medicine and to excellence in patient care with a robust team of 35 cardiologists and surgeons in the area.
Our team-based approach to caring for your complete cardiac, thoracic and vascular needs including everything from prevention, screening with Planet Heart and education to complex surgical procedures is all done with one main goal: to help you love longer.
Services at North Central Heart
A large staff of board-certified and board-eligible specialists ensures the widest range of services and the most innovative practices, including:
- Cardiology (diagnostic testing, invasive procedures)
- Electrophysiology (pacemakers, catheter ablation, defibrillators)
- CV surgery (coronary bypass, valve surgery, aneurysms, peripheral vascular, laser)
- Vascular medicine (diagnostic testing, invasive procedures)
- Venous disease (varicose veins, sclerotherapy, laser)
- Risk management, patient education
- Cardiovascular MRI - the only one offered in South Dakota
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Treadmill stress tests
- Nuclear medicine
- Stress echocardiogram
- Transesophageal echocardiogram (TEE)
- Cardiac catheterization
- Coronary angioplasty (PTCA)
- Directional coronary atherectomy (DCA), Rotoblader and TEC
- Coronary stents
- Enhanced external counter pulsation (EECP)
- Advanced lipoprotein testing
Vascular Medicine and Surgery
- Vascular imagery
- Varicose veins
- Carotid arteriogram
- Peripheral arteriogram
- Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty (PTA)
- Vascular stents
- Carotid stents
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair
- Endoluminal grafts
- Lower extremity (leg) bypass
- WATCHMAN™ procedure
- Signal average EKG
- 24-hour Holter monitor
- Cardiac event monitor
- Tilt table study
- Reveal insertable loop recorder (ILR)
- Electrophysiology studies (EP)
- Catheter ablation
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Coronary artery bypass (CABG)
- Cardiac valve surgery
- Thoracic and lung surgery
- TMR laser
Research fuels progress and opens the door to tomorrow's innovation in health care, which is why North Central Heart has been involved in clinical research since the early 1990s.
Through clinical trials, we offer medication, devices and follow-up care to our patients, easing the financial burden of health care. North Central Heart is committed to quality and excellence in research, and we take pride in providing the highest level of medical care. We adhere to good clinical practices, offer aggressive subject recruitment, and provide fast, efficient and ethical research.
Insurance and Billing
When you come for your appointment, bring your insurance, Medicare or Medicaid card, and plan to make co-payments on the day of your appointment. North Central Heart will send you regular monthly statements until the account balance is zero. Processing of your medical claim with Medicare/insurance should be complete within 60 days. Any unpaid balance deemed patient responsibility must then be paid by you within 30 days.
Online Bill Pay and Financial Assistance
Avera has financial assistance if you meet certain requirements and are unable to pay your bill. Access our uncompensated care/charity policy and procedures, summary of financial assistance policy and application.