Walsh Family Village
Find your home away from home at the Walsh Family Village, supported by the Avera Foundation. Designed provide peace of mind, this resource is for out-of-town patients and their families being treated at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center.
To be eligible to stay at Walsh Family Village, patients or families must live farther than 30 miles from Sioux Falls, be able to provide for personal needs or with the assistance of a family member or caregiver, and be referred by a hospital social worker.
If you would like to stay at Walsh Family Village or have questions, please speak with your social worker.
Your Gift Makes a Difference
As Avera's on-site hospitality home, the Walsh Family Village offers comfort and convenience for families of patients in need of our care. Since opening in 2008, the village as operated at 98 percent occupancy rate. Because of this ongoing need, your support is vital to expanding this facility and the services that it lends to our patients, their families and our community.
- $30 feeds a family at the village dinner.
- $50 ensures a comfortable night's sleep in one of our safe and private guest rooms.
- $200 provides transportation services to a family for one month.
Give the gift of hospitality today!
Make a Gift Now
Walsh Family Village Guest Houses
This three-building complex includes the following buildings:
Casa de Carlitos
Casa de Carlitos has a dual purpose: a welcome center for the public and a place for families of children from Los Cabos to stay while receiving treatment.
Tom and Kathy Walsh, along with the Los Cabos Children's Foundation, announced a lead gift toward the project. This gift honors an on-going relationship between Avera McKennan and the Los Cabos Children's Foundation, which provides medical treatment for children of the Los Cabos area in Mexico and the United States.
Nano Nagle Inn
In honor of the Nano Nagle Legacy, Foundress of the Presentation Sisters, the Nano Nagle Inn serves as a guest home on the Walsh Family Village Campus.
With a capacity to serve families and honor Nano Nagle's tradition of compassion, hospitality and stewardship, this eight-bed facility provides support, hope, and a better future for patients and families.
Ronald McDonald House
Unique in the nation, the Avera McKennan campus features an eight-bed Ronald McDonald house. Serving as an additional guest home within the Walsh Family Village, this facility furthers Avera McKennan's mission and dedication to the community to help those in need.
- Secure buildings near the Avera McKennan campus
- Rooms feature one or two queen size beds and private bath
- Bed linens and towels furnished
- Telephone and cable television in rooms
- A fully equipped kitchen and dining area in the guest house
- Guest laundry room available at no cost
- Handicap accessible
- Smoke free, alcohol free and no pets policy to provide a healthy and clean environment for guests
- Free parking - as parking space is limited, we ask that residents plan to bring just one vehicle per patient family
Excellent Career & Volunteer Opportunities
Join Avera, the Upper Midwest's health care leader, for an inspiring and exciting career. Search the possibilities below:
Avera also offers many classes for health care professionals and other opportunities for health care professionals, including programs for pharmacy residency, radiologic technology and emergency medical services.