Preregister Online for Your Surgery
Patients scheduled for surgery at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center can preregister online.
Begin the preregistration process
Welcome to the Avera Surgery Center. While you are here for surgery or other procedures, a highly skilled team of physicians, registered nurses and other qualified medical professionals will care for you. We want your experience at Avera to be as comfortable as possible. We offer the finest in surgical care:
- State-of-the-art facility
- Operating rooms with the latest technology
- Comprehensive services in one location
Avera Surgery Center Virtual Tour
Take an online virtual tour of the Avera Surgery Center. You can view the same-day surgery area, including our state-of-the-art operating rooms. This interactive tour will guide you through the surgery center with video and helpful narration.
Take the Avera Surgery Center virtual tour.
Surgery Center Features
The Avera Surgery Center has eight, state-of-the-art surgical suites, each 650 feet in size. From lighting to surgical equipment to interactive computer technology, the Avera Surgery Center’s features are cutting edge.
- An electronic patient tracking system allows staff members as well as families know exactly where the patient is at every point during the surgical process. Information is displayed in confidential and easy-to-understand terms on a screen in the family waiting room so visitors know whether a given patient is in pre-op, surgery or recovery.
- Pagers allow families to roam the main floor of the Prairie Center, view art displays or get a bite to eat at the Quarry Cafe and still feel in touch with their loved one in surgery. The pager alerts them when the patient is back in recovery.
- Patient monitors in the pre-op/recovery rooms are electronically connected to a nurse call system.
- All endoscopic and cautery equipment is positioned on booms, so that nothing touches the floor – providing an increased measure of patient and staff safety.
- Flat-screen monitors allow diagnostic images or the microscopic image of a pathology slide to be brought up to view, and surgeons can consult interactively with the pathologist.
Avera Surgery Center was designed with patient convenience and satisfaction in mind.
- Most preoperative work will be done ahead of the surgery date to reduce wait time for patients
- 24-hour valet parking
- Dedicated elevator for surgical patients
- Private consultation rooms with video streaming
- Post-operative medications are provided at the time of discharge
- Separate pediatric recovery area
- Parents can accompany their children to the OR and rejoin them in the recovery area