Minnesota Clinic Price Transparency
COVID-19 Diagnostic Laboratory Testing Price
- The price of a COVID-19 test at all Avera hospital and clinic laboratories is $140 (inclusive of supplies, lab equipment and staff time to run the test). COVID-19 tests are covered by insurance and uninsured patient testing will be covered through CARES Act funding. We encourage you to contact your insurance company to confirm coverage for antibody testing.
- You can call the number on the back of your insurance card to confirm. If you do not have insurance and are concerned about paying for the test, you can ask us about programs that help with the cost.
- For self-pay, there will not be a bill right away. We will seek reimbursement from any applicable government programs which may provide coverage for the test. You may receive a bill should government funding not cover the cost of the testing.
Newly enacted price transparency legal requirements in Minnesota require primary care and pediatric clinics to annually post in clinic waiting areas the Medical Assistance rate, the Medicare rate, the provider’s charge and the average payment for commercial health insurance for the top 25 most commonly billed services over $25.
- Amounts shown are averages, not the prices individual patients or their health insurance plan will owe for the services listed. Amounts do not reflect co-payments or deductibles. For specific information about the amount you will owe for the services you receive, please contact your insurer.
- Patients covered by commercial health insurance or a Medicare Advantage plan: Your health insurance company has likely negotiated a discount or contracted rate for each service. Your health insurance company’s negotiated price might be higher or lower than the average payment amount listed. To learn more about your health insurance company’s negotiated price or how much you will owe under the terms of your specific health insurance policy, please contact your health insurance company.
- Patients with government-sponsored health insurance, such as Medicare or Medical Assistance: The payment rates listed reflect amounts set by Medicare or Medical Assistance, not by this clinic. These listed rates do not reflect the amount you might owe. Please contact your government-sponsored health insurance company with any questions.
For more information, please contact a billing representative at your clinic.