Social Work Services
Call Avera Health based in Sioux Falls, SD, at 1-877-AT-AVERA (1-877-282-8372), or call an Avera location nearest you.
Find a location
Avera social workers help ensure patients have needed services while in the hospital and then help them access available resources in the community. Social workers focus on assisting patients and families with the stresses associated with illnesses and their impact on everyday life. Social workers:
- Advocate for patient and families
- Provide information on community resources
- Connect patients and their families with options for lodging and transportation
- Counsel patients and families to assist them with emotional and psychological distress
- Deliver psychosocial evaluation and assessment
- Provide information about Advance Directives
- Arrange for post-hospital placements and services
- Address issues of family violence and abuse
- Assist with questions concerning finances
Discharge planning is an ongoing process that may involve connection to services such as home health care, home medical equipment, hospice, assisted living or long-term care. Social workers assist with making a safe transition from hospital to home or other care environments.
Social workers lend their expertise regarding available resources, specific eligibility requirements and application procedures to help individuals and families bear the burden of health care expense. Social workers can link individuals and families to available resources in the community and government programs.
Social workers intervene on behalf of individuals who may be in danger of harm from others or who are unable to take care of their own physical needs.
To get connected to Social Work services at your facility, ask your doctor, nurse or care team.