Avera Chaplaincy staff is an ecumenical team of priests, Sisters, ministers, deacons and trained laity who regularly visit patients and families.
Our Chaplaincy staff seeks to respect the religious and spiritual beliefs and traditions of all the patients and families we serve. We work in collaboration with the pastors and religious leaders of our patients and will gladly contact your pastor or religious community upon request.
Care for the Whole Person
Avera believes in care for the whole person – body, mind and spirit. Chaplaincy staff is available 24 hours a day for spiritual, religious and pastoral needs. Ask your nurse or a hospital staff member for assistance in calling Chaplaincy.
Avera chaplains are available to:
- Listen with empathy
- Pray for and with patients and their families
- Suggest devotional materials
- Rejoice with those who are experiencing the miracle of life
- Offer encouragement and emotional support
- Discuss end-of-life issues
- Mourn with those who are sorrowful and experiencing loss
- Facilitate communication between patients, caregivers and family
- For Catholic patients who request it, deliver religious rituals including communion, confession, anointing or blessings
Mass and religious services are offered at numerous Avera sites, and devotional group sessions are held on various patient care units. Check with your nurse or care team regarding times and locations.
"Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace; where there is hatred, let me sow peace; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy."
-St.Francis of Assisi