Allergy & Immunology
Your body relies on the immune system to keep your health in balance and protect you from disease. Sometimes, substances in your environment may trigger unexpected reactions and contribute to autoimmune diseases, inflammatory conditions like allergies and certain types of cancer. Get expert care for allergies or immune disorders at Avera locations near you across the Upper Midwest.
Expert Care for Allergies & Immune System Conditions
When you experience discomfort from allergies or respond to a substance in an unusual way, reach out to the allergy and immunology specialists at Avera. You’ll work with board-certified physicians for an accurate evaluation and diagnosis of a wide range of allergic conditions or immunologic diseases, including:
- Allergies – Sneezing, itching, swelling, rashes or other symptoms caused by your immune system reacting to a substance in the environment such as pet dander, pollen, insect stings, certain foods or medications
- Asthma – Chronically inflamed airways that cause recurring periods of wheezing, shortness of breath, coughing and chest tightness
- Hives (urticaria) – Red, itchy, swollen areas of skin; may result from an allergic reaction, viral infections, extreme temperatures, sun, water or exercise
- Immunodeficiency disorders – Diminished capacity of the immune system to respond effectively to a variety of infectious agents, whether inherited or acquired, leaving you more susceptible to illness
Comprehensive Treatments & Services
Choose Avera for expert care and treatment aimed at improving symptoms associated with allergies or immunodeficiency disorders. Take advantage of:
- Allergy testing – Places a very small amount of an allergen into your skin to test for environmental, food and stinging insect allergies
- Allergy treatment with acupuncture – Uses sterilized, hair-thin needles gently placed at strategic places in the skin to stimulate your body’s natural healing process and relieve you of allergy symptoms
- Allergy medications – Pills (antihistamines, decongestants) or sprays that block or treat many common allergy symptoms; may help keep a consistent level of antihistamine in your system between shots
- Allergy shots – Decreases symptoms of allergic rhinitis, allergic asthma and stinging insect allergies
- Sublingual allergy treatments – Decreases symptoms of allergic rhinitis, allergic asthma and stinging insect allergies in a form taken orally.
- Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) therapy – Replaces antibodies through infusion therapy to help your body protect itself from bacteria, viruses and other infectious agents; used to treat immunodeficiency disorders
Depending on your allergy or breathing condition, your doctor may recommend additional attention from ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialists at Avera.