Outpatient Counseling & Therapy Services
Take advantage of flexible behavioral health care that fits your schedule with Avera’s outpatient behavioral therapy services. You’ll receive comprehensive treatment that suits your needs while accommodating your schedule and lifestyle.
Outpatient counseling and therapy services are conveniently available across the Avera region. If you want to address addiction and recovery, we offer both regional outpatient and inpatient programs in Sioux Falls and Aberdeen.
When you participate in Avera’s outpatient treatment services, you’ll learn how to make positive changes and develop skills that will help you manage life’s stressors and develop healthier relationships. Find grief support services and support groups for various bereavement situations.
Triage Services & Immediate Counseling
We understand that navigating the complex mental health system can be confusing and overwhelming, especially in your time of need. To best serve you, we’re pleased to offer immediate access with our outpatient triage therapists.
These specialists will work directly with your referring provider for seamless transition of care and offer immediate counseling sessions while connecting you with counseling services for long-term care needs. Call 605-322-4086 to schedule your 30-minute triage or e-triage session with video chat.
Counseling & Therapy
Find compassionate, expert psychology and psychiatry providers at Avera locations across the Upper Midwest. Whether you’re interested in an individual, family or group setting, choose from a variety of programs for every age and stage of life. Learn more about the behavioral health conditions we treat.
- Adolescent/Teen – Focus on developing healthy relationships with both family members and peers in order to grow into healthy adults.
- Marriage – Work through differences and learn how to stop repeating dysfunctional patterns to build a healthier marriage relationship.
- Prepare-Enrich™ is an assessment tool for both married and unmarried couples who better want to understand and improve their relationship. The assessment is reviewed with a trained facilitator in session.
- Family – Nourish and develop better relationships within your family through counseling and therapy focused on communication and the role family relationships can play in each member’s mental health.
- Neuropsychology – Clinical neuropsychology is a specialty profession that focuses on brain functioning. A clinical neuropsychologist has expertise in how behavior and skills are related to brain structures and systems. Brain function is evaluated by objectively testing memory and thinking skills.
Avera Medical Group Behavioral Health Center – S. Cliff Ave. in Sioux Falls, SD offers psychological and neuropsychological testing with areas of specific interest being traumatic brain injury, learning, memory and attention disorders, and geriatric neuropsychology. A referral from your provider is required.
- Group Therapy –
- STEPPS, STAIRWAYS & STRIDES™ – This is a specialized treatment for individuals with borderline personality disorder (BPD) that was developed as a systems approach. It is a cognitive-behavioral skill-based training approach that teaches specific emotion and behavioral management skills. Call 605-322-4079 for more information.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills – This 12-week group therapy provides an environment for individuals to learn and refine skills to better cope with life’s daily stressors. Based on a group treatment model by Marsha Linehan, PhD, this group consists of four parts with focuses on: core mindfulness skills, distress tolerance skills, emotion regulation skills and interpersonal effectiveness skills. Call 605-322-4079 for more information.
- Adolescent Outpatient Group – This eight to 12-week session offers weekly group therapy for adolescents (ages 12-18) who are struggling with mental health issues. Using coping skills, cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectical behavioral therapy, groups are facilitated by a trained mental health professional. Call 605-322-4057 to learn more.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
If you are employed, check your benefits to see if you qualify for free, employer-paid counseling services through our Employee Assistance Program. This confidential support resource, designed for you and your family, helps identify and resolve personal and professional issues that may affect your job performance. Additional EAP services for organizations include:
- Professional training for leaders and staff
- Consultation and mediation services
- Critical incident stress management debriefings (CISM)