Outpatient Treatment Services
Looking for behavioral health treatments to fit your schedule? Choose from a variety of convenient outpatient behavioral health treatment services in various Avera Behavioral Health Clinics. Working together with your psychologist or psychiatrist, find treatment options to fit your mental health goals, while minimizing your time away from daily life and work.
Both outpatient counseling and psychology services are confidential and treatment is created to fit you. Learn about specific outpatient treatment techniques that can help a variety of behavioral health conditions.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)
Take advantage of transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) for effective treatment of depression and an alternative to medication and counseling. Rely on Avera Behavioral Health, first in the region to offer TMS, for this innovative option to help you manage symptoms of depression.
Read more about TMS
Advanced Technology for Depression
A safe, effective, FDA-approved treatment for depression, TMS targets the prefrontal cortex – the area of the brain thought to control mood that’s underactive in people with depression. TMS uses highly focused magnetic pulses to stimulate this area, restoring it to normal function and lifting depression symptoms.
How You Benefit From TMS
Join the many others who experience significant benefits through TMS therapy. In clinical trials, 50 percent of people improved significantly, and one in three people were completely free of symptoms. You and your doctor may combine TMS with medication and psychotherapy for maximum benefit and continued remission from depression.
Get Started With TMS Therapy
Get TMS therapy treatments, which last less than an hour, at the Avera Behavioral Health Center in Sioux Falls, SD. Throughout your treatment, you’ll relax in a reclining chair with the TMS magnetic coil placed gently against your head. Once treatment begins, you’ll hear a clicking sound and feel a tapping sensation on the head. During your sessions, you’ll be awake and alert because you won’t need anesthesia for this simple, non-invasive treatment. You may even return to normal activity immediately after treatment.
Request a consultation or get more information about TMS when you call 605-322-4363.
Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR)
Experiencing a traumatic event affects your quality of life and can cause behavioral health issues such as Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Regain your peace of mind and confidence with Avera Medical Group Behavioral Health Yankton’s innovative eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) treatment.
Read more about EMDR
How You Benefit From EMDR
During EMDR, you’ll follow a specific light pattern while recalling the traumatic event, which:
- Allows you to access, process and resolve traumatic memories and other negative life experiences
- Relieves emotional distress and helps reframe negative beliefs
- Helps reduce vivid, unwanted, repeated recollections of traumatic events
EMDR effectively treats trauma from both extreme experiences – such as war or abuse – and everyday problems that might range from public speaking to phobias like fear of snakes and spiders. You can also receive EMDR treatment to address memories that create low self-esteem, feelings of powerlessness and other problems.
The American Psychiatric Association, the World Health Organization and the U.S. Department of Defense recognize EMDR as an effective form of treatment.
Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
If you or a loved one lives with mental illnesses such as major depression, bipolar disorder or schizoaffective disorder, electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) may be the most effective way to reverse symptoms.
Read more about ECT
Quick, Safe & Proven Treatment
ECT treatment works by producing changes in brain chemistry through a medically induced and professionally monitored seizure. ECT often produces positive outcomes more quickly than medications alone. In fact, people who receive ECT as their primary treatment generally experience 80-90 percent improvement in area such as mood, motivation, interest, energy and sleep patterns.
What to Expect
The decision to seek behavioral health treatment can be a difficult. When you choose ECT therapy, you can expect to receive the best care possible in an environment of comfort, privacy and confidence.
During ECT treatment, our highly-trained professionals use electrical current to produce a closely supervised, medically induced seizure.
- Safety: During your ECT sessions, you receive sedation for comfort and relaxation. You will be asleep during the procedure and under constant supervision by our experienced medical professionals. An anesthesiologist, along with a nurse anesthetist who is cross-trained in advanced cardiac support, monitors your condition throughout your treatment.
- Dignity, comfort and privacy: You will prepare for your ECT treatment in our private changing area. And, while you're resting through your treatment, your family can relax in our inviting waiting area, complete with free Starbucks coffee. After your treatment, specialized nurses supervise your recovery and provide support to help you make a comfortable transition back into your day.
- Convenience: Discover patient- and family-centered care that works around your schedule so you receive the care you need, when you need it. Generally, each ECT session lasts approximately two hours, depending upon recovery time. For acute situations, your doctor likely will recommend a minimum of six sessions. You may be able to complete three to four sessions as an inpatient and the rest as an outpatient if you experience fast, positive results. Ask your doctor about maintenance sessions – follow-up visits available whenever you need them, which allow you to continue feeling well without interrupting your life and activities.
Am I a Candidate for ECT?
Ask your psychiatrist if you might be a candidate for ECT and whether a referral to Avera Behavioral Health Center is right for you. ECT is offered at locations in Aberdeen, Marshall and Sioux Falls. Learn more about our services calling 605-322-5950.