Trust Avera Cancer Institute’s comprehensive lung program for the highest quality of care—focused on you—from screening and diagnosis to treatment and recovery.
Lung Cancer Symptoms
Although cigarette smoking leads the causes of lung cancer, you can still develop the condition, even if you have never smoked or been near second-hand smoke. That’s why you want to pay attention to your health for symptoms such as:
- Chest pain
- Chronic cough
- Coughing up blood
- Unexplained weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Shortness of breath
Lung Cancer Screening Program
In the United States, lung cancer causes the largest number of cancer-related deaths. Early detection improves your ability to survive. If you’re a current or former heavy smoker, research from the National Lung Screening Trial shows you can reduce your risk of dying from lung cancer by 20 percent with low-dose CT scans at intervals determined by your provider.
Take advantage of low-dose CT screening, a simple, 15-second procedure available at Avera Cancer Institute. With a quick pass across your chest, the low-dose CT scan looks for lung nodules which may be early indicators and offers the best chance of finding lung cancer in its earliest and most curable stages.
Should I Be Screened?
If you’re between the ages of 55-74 with a history of smoking, you may benefit from a lung cancer screening. Call your local Avera Cancer Institute to schedule your screening today.
Lung Cancer Treatment
Count on Avera Cancer Institute’s multidisciplinary team approach for the personalized care you need. If you receive a lung cancer diagnosis, a team of cancer experts will collaborate each week to review, develop and recommend the best possible treatment plan for your individual situation.
Depending on the stage and type of lung cancer, treatment typically involves a combination of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. Avera’s advanced diagnostic and treatment options include:
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy, also known as radiosurgery, can improve survival for people with early-stage, inoperable lung cancer. This therapy delivers a high dose of concentrated and precisely focused radiation to the tumor in three to five treatments.
- Electromagnetic Navigation Bronchoscopy® uses GPS-like technology to diagnose and plan treatment for a lesion located deep in the lung.
- Endobronchial high-dose rate brachytherapy delivers radiation directly to the tumor site and is often recommended if the tumor is located near the bronchial tubes.
- Clinical trials offer access to novel treatment options.
- Genomic sequencing testing determines if you would benefit from specific cancer-fighting drugs.
- Pain management and palliative medicine helps you stay as comfortable as possible.
- Integrative medicine therapies such as acupuncture, massage, aromatherapy, nutrition counseling and mind-body movement help relieve stress or symptoms.
You’ll also enjoy free access to our tumor specific Patient Navigators at Avera Cancer Institute Sioux Falls. For more information, call 605-322-6991.
And no matter which Avera location you choose for treatment, you can count on 24/7 access to the Navigation Center for one-on-one education and support throughout your journey.
How Can I Prevent Lung Cancer?
To prevent lung cancer, quit smoking. Simple, but not easy. Find the support you need to make this healthy lifestyle change by calling the South Dakota QuitLine at 866-737-8487 or by joining one of our group or individual smoking cessation programs. Call 866-205-1005 to learn more.