When the cancer in your body appears contained in one area, surgery is often your first choice for treatment. Find the expert care you need at Avera’s top-quality surgical facilities.
Exceptional Surgical Care
When your cancer treatment plan includes surgery, choose Avera for the best and most comprehensive cancer care. You benefit from:
- Skilled surgical teams that include board-certified oncologists, surgeons, anesthesiologists, certified nurse anesthetists and specialty-trained nurses
- Advanced surgical technology
- Comfortable, calming environment for family and friends while you’re in surgery
What to Expect
During surgery, your care team will remove the tumor that contains cancerous cells. Your surgeon may incorporate electron-based intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT) to deliver a boost of radiation directly to the tumor to prevent recurrence.
You and your doctor may choose to take advantage of minimally invasive procedures such as robotic-assisted surgery, which helps you experience all the benefits of surgery along with faster recovery and less pain and scarring.
Benefit from advanced surgical training and expertise at Avera. This includes a fellowship-trained colorectal surgeon, surgeons experienced in the Whipple procedure for treating pancreatic cancer, use of robotics for prostate surgery, surgeons who specialize in minimally invasive options for gynecologic surgery, and more.
Surgery Without the Incision
If surgery is not your best choice, find new hope in Avera Cancer Institute’s radiosurgery options.
Receive non-invasive treatment with the Elekta Versa HD. This technology delivers high-dose radiation from hundreds of different angles with pinpoint accuracy while minimizing effects on normal tissue.
If you have a brain tumor, disorder or inoperable lesion – whether cancerous or non-cancerous – benefit from Gamma Knife radiation therapy. This innovative technology, considered the gold standard for non-invasive treatment of brain disorders, precisely targets them with a high dose of radiation and minimum risk to nearby tissue and structures.
Breast Cancer Surgery
Depending on your stage of breast cancer, you may be able to choose between Avera’s advanced surgical procedures that remove the cancer while maintaining optimal breast health.
- Hidden Scar™ – Removes the tumor and a slight amount of surrounding tissue through a small incision in a well-hidden area
- Lumpectomy – Removes the whole tumor, while conserving as much breast tissue as possible
- Mastectomy – Includes a total removal of the breast, with the option of reshaping the breast through reconstructive surgery
- Oncoplasty – Achieves a better cosmetic result with less visible scarring by combining removal of the lump with plastic surgery techniques
To determine the extent of the cancer and guide your postoperative treatment plan, breast cancer surgery typically removes minimal lymph nodes under the arm.
Learn more about plastic and reconstructive surgery at Avera.