When your cancer treatment plan calls for radiation therapy, take advantage of the latest technology and radiation oncology expertise at one of Avera Cancer Institute’s six regional centers across the Upper Midwest.
Precise Radiation Oncology Treatment Technology
Choose Avera for access to a wide range of specialized radiation services—including external radiation therapy and internal radiation therapy—that delivers the most precise treatment available. Radiation therapy uses high-energy radiation to destroy cancer cells, shrink tumors, preserve healthy cells, prevent the spread of cancer cells by permanently damaging their DNA.
External Radiation Therapy
Enjoy faster scheduling and more flexible treatment planning with Avera’s expertise in non-invasive radiation that targets tumors while minimizing side effects. You and your doctor can choose from external radiation therapies such as:
- Elekta Versa HD linear accelerator – Delivers high doses of radiation with high precision from hundreds of different angles to a single spot on a tumor
- Elekta Infinity linear accelerator – Offers enhanced imaging and the capability for a full range of radiation treatments
- Gamma Knife radiation therapy – Targets brain tumors, disorders and inoperable lesions – both cancerous and non-cancerous – with a high dose of radiation and minimum risk to nearby tissue and structures. Available at Avera Cancer Institute Sioux Falls – the only site in the region to offer Gamma Knife.
- Total body irradiation (TBI) – Distributes radiation evenly across the entire body for patients with blood - related cancers
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) – Aims thousands of small beams at the tumor from different angles while avoiding healthy tissue
- Image guided radiation therapy (IGRT) – Targets a specific tumor – located on an area of the body that moves when you breathe – by adjusting to frequent imaging studies throughout a treatment session
- Volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT) – Uses single or multiple radiation beams to sweep in uninterrupted arcs around the tumor
- Intraoperative Radiation Therapy (IORT) – Uses a single dose of radiation at the time of surgery to provide a radiation boost directly to the tumor site. Available at Avera Cancer Institute Sioux Falls – the only site in the region to offer IORT.
Internal Radiation Therapy
Depending on your condition, you may benefit from a high dose of radiation precisely directed as close to the cancer as possible through internal radiation therapies such as brachytherapy. During this treatment, your radiation oncologist places a targeted radioactive seed at the tumor site – preventing unnecessary radiation exposure to normal tissue.
Find this treatment at Avera Cancer Institute Mitchell and Avera Cancer Institute Sioux Falls.
Radiation Treatment Planning
You, your doctors and your care team work closely with Avera’s board-certified radiation oncologists to develop a personalized treatment plan. You benefit from coordinated care that constantly monitors and adjusts to your specific situation.
To improve your outcomes, your team uses sophisticated methods that optimize the effectiveness of treatment and minimize radiation exposure to healthy tissue.
CT-based 3-D Treatment Planning
CT-based 3-D treatment planning employs X-rays to create high-resolution images of tumors anywhere in the body. Your radiation oncologists use the 3-D system to diagnose and stage cancer, determine the most effective method to deliver radiation therapy and design an individualized treatment plan for you.
PET/CT Fusion Treatment Planning
A nuclear medicine imaging technique, positron emission tomography (PET) creates 3-D images of body processes. When paired with CT technology, PET/CT fusion provides critical diagnostic and cancer staging information in one fast exam.
No matter what your cancer treatment plan includes or which Avera Cancer Institute location you visit, Avera’s cancer experts use precise treatment planning software to ensure you receive the precise dose at the right location, every time.