Heart and Vascular Care
If you or a loved one experience chest pain or feel you’re having a heart attack, call 911 immediately. You’ll get the fast response that can save your life.
Comprehensive Cardiovascular Services Close to Home
No matter what your heart needs, you’ll find expert care at Avera. You get access to dozens of specialists in nearly 230 locations throughout the Upper Midwest, including Avera Heart Hospital of South Dakota—the region’s only hospital devoted exclusively to cardiac care. Discover our wide range of heart services, including:
- Emergency services, including Careflight transport by helicopter or fixed-wing aircraft from your location anywhere in our multistate region
- Heart and vascular screenings
- Radiology and imaging procedures, such as echocardiogram, to diagnose heart conditions
- Heart rhythm specialists
- Preventive care
- Minimally invasive procedures (interventional cardiology), such as cardiac catheterization, to speed your recovery
- Heart surgery from experienced, dedicated surgeons
- Nutrition and dietary services
- Clinical trials that expand your treatment options
- Cardiac rehabilitation and support, which strengthens you as you manage a heart condition and develop habits that help you get healthy and stay well
Accredited Chest Pain Center
Your Avera care team helps make sure you get the right treatment as soon as possible during a heart attack. You can trust our commitment to timely, effective care because Avera Heart Hospital is accredited as a Chest Pain Center by the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
Saving Lives During Cardiac Arrest
Help restart hearts. The PulsePoint app sends and receives notifications when someone nearby experiences cardiac arrest. People trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) who use PulsePoint get alerts about the emergency and see the location of the closest automated external defibrillator (AED) placed in key community settings by Avera.
Recognized for Excellence in Cardiology
When you choose Avera, you join thousands of your neighbors and friends who enjoy better heart health thanks to our award-winning care for the full spectrum of cardiovascular diseases.
Explore our high quality of heart care, including multiple honors for consistently providing excellent patient outcomes, provided by some of the region’s top experts at locations throughout our network.
Through Avera, you gain access to a variety of advanced vascular services and treatments, such as:
- Care for peripheral artery disease (PAD) to ease pain and make walking more comfortable
- Vascular screening to detect disease at the earliest stages.
- Vascular surgery aided by robotic technology that moves more precisely and steadily than human hands alone
If you’re older than 40, Avera’s many heart screenings can help you determine your risk of heart disease and other life-threatening conditions. When you and your doctor get a clear picture of your cardiovascular health, the two of you can develop a plan for a healthy lifestyle and medical care that lowers your risk of heart attack and stroke.
Heart Healthy Eating
Enjoy access to Avera Heart Hospital’s dietitians who are skilled in heart healthy living. They understand that your needs and preferences are unique, so there’s no one-size-fits-all nutrition plan. You’ll partner with them to design a meal plan that suits your tastes with heart healthy recipes. Learn more about our comprehensive nutrition services.