For holistic, evidence-based care that treats you as a complete person, explore integrative medicine services at Avera.
You'll find compassionate providers who supplement conventional medical therapies with complementary and alternative medicine practices that support your entire well-being. They can also collaborate with your other providers - including a primary care physician - to ensure that you receive the comprehensive care you need.
Choose from our diverse services for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Digestive issues
- Hormonal issues such as infertility, menstrual irregularities and hot flashes
- Pain related to cancer treatments, headaches, tennis elbow, carpal tunnel, back pain and more
- Weight loss
Acupuncture uses sterilized, hair-thin needles gently placed at strategic places in the skin to stimulate your body's natural healing process. Evidence shows this treatment can ease pain, nausea, headaches, anxiety and other conditions. Discover how acupuncture relieved Lacey Seefeldt's seasonal allergies and let her return to outdoor activities. For the best care, request an appointment with Avera's certified medical acupuncture providers.
Relax as you breathe in the pleasant scent of lavender, ginger, peppermint or other plant-based oil during aromatherapy. You may enjoy this treatment during therapeutic massage, or purchase your favorite oil at our Innerpath Store in Sioux Falls, SD, to use in the comfort of your home.
Cancer Care Services
During cancer treatment, Avera Cancer Institute in Sioux Falls offers complimentary aromatherapy, massage, music therapy, arts, and relaxation activities. Access our video library to learn about potential side effects associated with treatment and how to use makeup to its fullest potential during cancer treatments.
Cancer Outpatient Therapy
Outpatient therapy focuses on helping cancer patients and their loved ones through the emotionally distressing phases of cancer treatment. Cognitive behavioral therapy techniques are used to help address issues such as anxiety and fear of reoccurrence or death, depression, coping with cancer-related body changes, family and relationship issues and extended or anticipatory grief. These services are based in Sioux Falls, but telemedicine appointments are available to all Avera Cancer Institute locations. Call 605-322-3241 to schedule an appointment.
Therapeutic massage helps relax muscles, reduce pain and improve circulation. It can be an excellent resource for self-guided treatment or part of your rehabilitation plan.
Mind-Body Classes & Services
Enhance your physical and mental well-being by taking advantage of these Avera services.
Build camaraderie during classes such as:
- Yoga - Increases flexibility, strength, energy level and mental clarity
- Tai Chi - Uses gentle, flowing movements to enhance feelings of calm and improve your balance.
- Singing Bowls Relaxation/Meditation - Invites you to make soothing, harmonic sounds on metal Tibetan bowls to reduce tension and anxiety during this free class.
Let a compassionate guide use soothing words and music to help you relax and heal. Your imagination will take you on a powerful inner journey toward health and wellness.
Meditate, pray and unwind as you walk our maze-like path that's based on sacred geometric patterns. Embrace each stage of the spiritual labyrinth:
- Inward journey - Letting go of internal struggles and approaching God
- Finding your center - Discovering a space of prayer and peace
- Outward journey - Strengthening your relationship with yourself, others and the planet
Avera Medical Group Integrative Medicine in Sioux Falls, SD, offers a variety of mind-body classes each week, including free classes for cancer patients and caregivers during active treatment at Avera. View the current class schedule, descriptions and pricing.
Ask an integrative medicine physician at our Avera Medical Group Integrative Medicine clinic about nutritional and herbal supplements - a complement or alternative to medications. Then, visit the Innerpath Store next door to find pure, safe products that can improve your health.
Your doctor may recommend:
- CoQ10 (Coenzyme Z10) for headaches
- Fish oil - Supports your heart and blood vessels
- Melatonin - Helps you sleep
- Probiotics to aid digestion
- Tumeric to ease pain
- Vitamin B to increase your energy
- Vitamin D - the "sunshine" vitamin - to treat pain, fatigue, lowered immunity, mood swings and sleep difficulties, and to help prevent some chronic conditions
- Thorne Research Oncology Supportive Care products - Benefit your immune system and reduce symptoms such as dry skin, dry mouth and fatigue
- V Clear by Integrative Therapeutics - Speeds recover from upper respiratory infections
Trust your integrative medicine physician to provide personalized recommendations for herbal supplements that can treat:
- Cancer side effects
- Chronic nasal congestion
- Menstrual issues
- Musculoskeletal pain
Learn about all of Avera's nutrition services for you and your family.