If you or a loved one lives with a painful and serious illness, count on Avera’s palliative care services to help control symptoms, reduce stress, find comfort and improve quality of life.
Comprehensive Care for Pain Relief
Palliative care offers relief for a variety of conditions, including:
- Heart disease
- Kidney failure
- Multiple sclerosis
- Respiratory distress, and more
If you’re interested in palliative care, simply ask your provider for a referral to Avera’s palliative care team who will help you discover:
- Improved ability to tolerate medical treatments
- Relief from symptoms including pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, constipation, nausea, loss of appetite, numbness, problems with sleep and more
- Strength to carry on with daily life
- Support for caregivers
Expert Palliative Care
Avera’s multidisciplinary palliative team includes board-certified physicians, nurses, social workers and chaplains who work together to meet not only your physical needs, but also your and your family’s emotional, spiritual and practical needs.
Together with your primary care provider, we’ll ensure that you receive:
- Coordination of your care among all of your health care providers
- Close communication about your illness and treatment choices
- Emotional and spiritual support for you and your family
- Expert treatment for your pain and symptoms
- Guidance with Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance and other benefits
- Referral and coordination of home health care services
Is Palliative Care The Same As Hospice?
Palliative care is not the same as hospice care. Hospice care is meant for people in the final months of life. Non-hospice palliative care, on the other hand, is available to you at any time during your illness while you're in the hospital. Unlike hospice, you can also receive palliative care at the same time as curative treatments.