Maternal Care Center at Avera Queen of Peace Mitchell
When you’re expecting, you want to receive the best care possible while welcoming your newborn into the world. Find the expert and compassionate care you’re looking for at Avera Queen of Peace Hospital’s Maternal Care Center in Mitchell, SD.
Personalized Birth Experience
Every expectant mother holds unique needs and hopes for delivery. Receive care specifically tailored to you and your baby during this special time when you develop a personal birth plan with your maternal care team.
Innovative & Compassionate Birth Care
No matter when your baby is ready to arrive, our experienced maternal care team helps guide you through the birthing process step by step. You’ll find comfort in receiving care from a team that delivers over 550 babies each year.
During your stay at the Maternal Care Center, enjoy amenities such as:
- Three labor, delivery and recovery (LDR) suites, complete with all the comforts of home
- Nine private rooms, each with a bathroom, shower, whirlpool, and recliner
- Birthing beds
- Pain management options, including epidurals
- Nursery located next to the main nurses' station and equipped with a HUGS® security system
- Family-friendly environment complete with beverage center in the waiting area, and complimentary evening meal for your support person
Level II Nursery
If your newborn needs special attention in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), our Level II Nursery is equipped with the latest technology, including:
- Monitors for oxygen, vital signs and nearly every system of your newborn’s body Warmers, isolettes and bili lights to keep your newborn warm and comfortable
- Support equipment such as ventilators to stabilize your newborn if a transport to our Level IIIB NICU is needed
- Avera CareView technology to connect with Avera neonatologists and pediatric specialists 24/7
As a new parent, you may feel overwhelmed by having a baby in the NICU. Rest assured knowing your newborn receives the best care possible at Avera.
Support for New Parents
Taking care of yourself and a newborn can be challenging. Thankfully, you’re not alone as you navigate parenthood. Prepare yourself and your family for the arrival of your baby at Avera’s Maternal Care Center with childbirth education classes offered several times a year on topics such as:
- Expectant parent classes
- Childbirth preparation classes
- Sibling classes
- Infant and child CPR instruction
Breastfeeding & Lactation
Breastfeeding provides the best possible nutrition for your newborn through the first six months of life. That’s why you’ll want to take advantage of our free, breastfeeding and lactation services. Find support, encouragement and answers to your questions while learning about the value and techniques of breastfeeding. Benefit from:
- Breastfeeding class for expectant parents
- Maternal care nursing staff specially trained in breastfeeding assistance and support
- Kangaroo (skin-to-skin) care to facilitate early breastfeeding
- "Rooming in" available in all postpartum rooms
- Assistance with transitioning back to work and working with employers and daycare providers
- Resources and information on breastfeeding aids and equipment
- Breastfeeding products from Avera@Home’s home medical equipment resources, including:
- Medala breast pump
- Breast pumping accessories
- Breast care products
- Nursing pillows
To support your breastfeeding success, we strive to maintain a quiet environment and allow you private time to bond and feed your baby.