Women's Center at Avera St. Luke's Aberdeen
Discover a wide range of around-the-clock maternity services at Avera St. Luke’s Hospital Women's Center in Aberdeen, SD – the place where small miracles happen. When you choose the Women's Center, you’ll give birth in one of our 12 private rooms that surround a central nursery in a family-friendly, spa-like environment. Providing you with a safe, personal and satisfying childbirth experience is our top priority.
Personalized Birth Experience
Every expectant mother holds unique needs and hopes for delivery. Receive care specifically tailored to you and your baby during this special time by developing a personal birth plan with your care team.
Innovative & Compassionate Birth Care
When baby’s ready to arrive, trust the advanced technology and expert providers at Avera St. Luke’s Hospital, supported by the strength of the Avera system. You’ll have 24/7 access to our experienced team of obstetrics/gynecology specialists, pediatricians and family physicians.
Throughout your stay, enjoy a private, single maternity room designed for continuity of care, which means you’ll remain in one room from labor and delivery through recovery.
Our nursing staff will be with you as much, or as little, as you prefer during the labor experience to offer information and support. You’re options for delivery, include:
- Birth ball – Provides support for a variety of labor positions to increase your comfort
- Cesarean section (C-section) – Delivers baby through a surgical incision in the abdominal wall when vaginal delivery is not possible
- Labor epidurals – Helps lessen labor pain
When a healthy delivery requires a C-section, your care team uses our dedicated elevator to take you directly to Avera St. Luke’s Surgery Center for a cesarean birth, ensuring a quiet and private transfer. You’ll also benefit from our First Touch program, which allows you to bond with your newborn immediately after the C-section.
Level II Nursery
If your newborn needs special attention in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), our Level II Nursery is equipped with the latest technology, including:
- Monitors for oxygen, vital signs and nearly every system of your newborn’s body Warmers, isolettes and bili lights to keep your newborn warm and comfortable
- Support equipment such as ventilators to stabilize your newborn if a transport to our Level IIIB NICU is needed
- Avera CareView technology to connect with Avera neonatologists and pediatric specialists 24/7
As a new parent, you may feel overwhelmed by having a baby in the NICU. Rest assured knowing your newborn receives the best care possible at Avera.
Women's Center Amenities
During your stay at the Women's Center, you and your family enjoy a variety of valuable amenities, such as:
- Spacious, individual rooms designed for privacy and quiet
- Sanijet whirlpool tub, glider rocker, sleeper sofa and fully-equipped entertainment center in every room
- Nearby nursery where newborns receive care 24/7 so you can rest
- Central monitoring that allows your heart rate and your baby’s heart rate to be monitored from the nurse’s station and your physician’s home or office
- Large waiting areas with kitchen and play area for siblings
- Comprehensive, integrated electronic security system
- Social work, nutritional counseling, spiritual care, fertility care, counseling and financial assistance
Lactation & Breastfeeding Support
Take advantage of our free breastfeeding and lactation support services offered to all new and expecting moms. You’ll find the answers and encouragement you need from our internationally board-certified lactation consultant, who is available to answer questions about the benefits of breastfeeding and offer support.
If you’re interested in breastfeeding, you’ll appreciate our compassionate care and proven methods. Research shows breastfeeding improves infant and lifelong health, and in 2015, the Women's Center breastfeeding rate was 83 percent. That’s well above the national average of 75 percent and above the Healthy People 2020 goal of 81.5 percent.