Tired of feeling short of breath? Experience an improved quality of life and develop a healthier, more active lifestyle through pulmonary rehabilitation at Avera locations across the Upper Midwest.
Your whole self will benefit from our comprehensive program which combines exercise with education, breathing retraining, nutritional counseling and emotional support.
Personalized Lung Rehabilitation
No matter your age or type of lung disease, you can take advantage of our individualized pulmonary rehabilitation program.
You’ll partner with our experts to develop a program that helps you achieve goals such as:
- Begin and maintain a home exercise program
- Decrease shortness of breath and the anxiety it brings
- Develop self-reliance and independence
- Increase exercise tolerance and ability to perform normal daily activities
- Learn the breathing techniques and proper use of respiratory medications
- Reduce the possibility of hospitalizations
As you increase the endurance and strength of your muscles, you’ll no longer have to let the fear of being short of breath influence your everyday decisions.
To get started, ask your physician for a referral. After your referral is received, you’ll work with a respiratory therapist and a registered nurse to complete an interview and testing. Your results help create a customized pulmonary rehabilitation program that fits your needs and goals.
Am I a Candidate for Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
If you feel short of breath most of the time, can't breathe well enough to tolerate moderate exercise or frequently cough, you may be a good candidate for pulmonary rehab.
If you answer “yes” to most of these questions, ask your provider about a referral:
- Has my disease affected my ability to work, engage in recreational activities or perform activities of daily living?
- Am I willing to participate in a program that includes exercise and education? Your exercise sessions will begin at a low level, which you can comfortably complete, and will gradually increase in intensity and duration as you are able to do more.
- Have I stopped smoking and am I protecting myself from secondhand smoke? You may not participate in the program if you are currently a smoker.