When you face a challenging health situation, your most effective approach may be a surgical procedure. Choose Avera for exceptional surgical care close to home - whether you and your doctor consider inpatient services with an overnight stay or same-day/outpatient options.
Surgery Services at Avera
At Avera, you'll find the same innovative surgery procedures you expect at major medical centers - but you don't need to travel far. You and your care team can select from our extensive offerings such as:
In addition, you'll find specialty surgeries at Avera that include:
Advanced Technology. Personalized Care.
Regardless of the surgical procedure or the Avera location you select, you'll get the most appropriate, personalized care for your specific situation. Your surgeons employ a wide range of advanced technology and sophisticated resources such as:
- Minimally invasive techniques or robotic-assisted procedures that require fewer and smaller incisions, promote faster recovery and shorten your hospital stay
- High-definition, 3-D, video and visualization technology for precise image guidance during delicate procedures such as radiosurgery
- Spacious operating suites with special lighting and equipment-handling capabilities that enhance safety and energy efficiency
- Integrated information technology - including medical records and images - that ensures access to everything your team needs for your procedure
- Hospitalists, the specially trained physicians who coordinate and guide your care while you stay with us
- Effective pain control during surgery - delivered by board-certified anesthesiologists and certified Registered Nurse anesthetists (CRNAs) - along with pain management services when you return home
- Post-surgery rehabilitation - from basic exercises to in-depth programs that help you recover quickly
Nationally Recognized Surgical Care
Throughout Avera's network of regional hospitals across five states in the Upper Midwest, you benefit from the expertise of board-certified surgeons, skilled professional staff and top-quality surgical facilities available 24/7.
Best in South Dakota & Beyond
Avera facilities and medical professionals hold many certifications, accreditations and awards that acknowledge the safe, high-quality patient care you receive from us.
- Avera Sacred Heart is the only hospital in a 15-county region that meets the highest standards for health care required to achieve accrditation from The Joint Commission, an independent national agency.
- Avera Dakota Plains Surgical Center, an inpatient and outpatient surgery facility accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC), delivers exceptional medical care in a comfortable environment.
Your Best Choice for Same-Day Surgery
When you need surgery, ask your doctor if you're eligible for a same-day procedure. You'll receive top-quality surgical care, education and recover support as an outpatient in one convenient Avera location - all in a single day. As many as 80 percent of Avera surgeries may be performed on a same-day basis.
Like your friends and neighbors, you want a same-day surgery center with the advanced technology and skilled health care professionals you'd find at major medical centers - as well as comprehensive medical services close by if your situation needs additional support at a moment's notice.
That's what makes Avera your best choice. You'll find our hospital-based, same-day surgery centers located within seconds of critical and emergency services, just in case. You also benefit from:
- Advanced surgical technology and spacious procedure rooms
- Up-to-date equipment safety practices and infection control procedures
- Enhanced privacy for you and your family
- Compassionate, effective care from our professional medical teams
Support for Your Loved Ones & Caregivers
While you stay with us, you can rest assured that your loved ones and caregivers get the support they need as they assist in your recover. At Avera, they'll find:
- Large waiting rooms with volunteer hosts who can answer questions; many also offer children's play areas
- Light refreshments and/or convenient dining and food service choices at our locations, as well as at nearby restaurants
- Wireless Internet access
- Surgery tracking boards that allow you to monitor the status of your loved ones during surgery at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center
- Options for caregivers to remain with you around the clock, if needed
- Special areas for private family/physician consultation