2017 Employee Giving Campaign
Campaign for Hope
Watch the 2017 Employee Campaign Video
Changing Lives Together
Thank you for supporting the 2017-2018 Employee Giving Campaign at Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center. Your gifts further the Gospel values of compassion, hospitality and stewardship that we live and work by each day.
When you make a gift, you strengthen our people, facilities and healing ministry. You validate our history, secure the future and ensure quality health care is available to all.
Make a Pledge
Campaign for Hope: Avera Center for Precision Oncology
You have an opportunity to support precision oncology, a form of cancer research that uses DNA sequencing to determine the best treatment plan. Your gifts directly benefit those facing the devastation of cancer and further Avera’s dedication to providing the highest quality of care. Our goal is to provide genetic testing for all cancer patients and continue bringing clinical trials to Avera.
Learn More About Precision Oncology
- Because every dollar makes a difference! Your gift supports programs and services that wouldn't exist if it weren't for donations. Funds donated to the foundation support a variety of needs including equipment, education, patient and employee financial assistance and more.
- It’s easy! Choose employee payroll deduction, check, cash or credit card and we take care of the rest. Please ask your leader for your personalized giving form. Forms may be turned in to your leader, deposited into the 5 Star Care boxes or may be delivered/mailed to:
- Avera McKennan Foundation
Plaza 4, Suite 205
1325 S. Cliff Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57117-5045
- It’s your opportunity to support projects that impact your own workplace, co-workers and the people we serve every day.
What is the campaign goal amount?
Our 2017 goal is $465,000. We can do it with your help!
When is this year's campaign?
The Employee Giving Campaign is March 14 - April 14, 2017. Payroll deductions will appear on pay vouchers starting in July, 2017.
Is this the same thing as the United Way?
The Avera McKennan Employee Giving Campaign and United Way are not the same thing. While Avera does benefit from United Way programs and services, it is NOT part of the Avera McKennan Employee Giving Campaign. All gifts to the Employee Giving Campaign directly benefit Avera and the patients, families and employees we serve. We encourage employees to support both campaigns if they are able.
How can I make a gift?
Employees can fill out their personalized giving form or make a pledge online and login using your system credentials. Employees can choose to give through payroll deduction, a one-time gift of cash, check or use a credit card.
Am I able to donate my Paid Time Off (PTO)?
Yes! Employees have the option to donate accrued PTO to the foundation. The PTO Donation Policy follows similar guidelines as the PTO Cash Out Policy. Please be aware that PTO donations will be taken entirely from your first paycheck in July, 2017, and that donated PTO hours are taxable under IRS rules. For more information on donating PTO, please contact the foundation at 605-322-8900.
How much should I give?
Choosing to give is an important and personal decision. What might be an appropriate gift will differ from person to person. We have several giving options available. You can give any amount of $1 or more per payroll period or you can give through a one-time donation/deduction.
Who will decide how to spend my donation?
You do! Choose the area of support that interests or impacts you OR choose to designate your gift to the Unrestricted fund and let us put your dollars to work where the need is greatest. You may direct your donation to any of the established funds set up within the Avera McKennan Foundation. The back of your pledge card includes a list of funds or for a complete list, see giving options.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Contributions to the Avera McKennan Foundation are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
How do I become eligible for the prize drawings?
Your completed and turned in pledge form will serve as your entry into the weekly prize drawings. The last date to turn in a card and be eligible for prizes is April 14. Remember: the earlier you submit your completed form, the more chances you have to win!
What do I need to do if I am an on-going giver?
Thank you for your gift! If you would like to continue your current contributions without changes, you do not need to do anything. Your current deductions will remain the same for the following year and your name will automatically be included in all prize drawings. If you would like to make changes or increase your donation, please do so and return your card to the foundation office. Your pledge will be adjusted accordingly.
I have an outstanding pledge to one of the capital campaigns (Avera Cancer Institute, NICU or Avera Prince of Peace). If I choose to increase my employee campaign payroll deduction amount, will this also increase my pledge to the capital campaign?
No. Should you choose to increase your employee campaign gift, only your annual gift to the employee campaign will increase. All pledges you had previously made to capital campaigns will remain the same. Should you wish to increase the deduction amount for your capital gift, please contact the Avera McKennan Foundation office at 322-8900.
I'm an on-going giver, where is my new badge clip?
Badge clips were sent via inter-office mail the week prior to the campaign launch. If you didn’t receive yours, please contact the foundation office at 605-322-8900.
If I do not donate, do I need to return my pledge card?
If you do not wish to support this year's giving campaign, please check the "I elect not to give at this time" check box on your pledge form and return it to your leader or the Avera McKennan Foundation office. By checking this box and returning your card, we are assured that you had the opportunity to make a gift in support of the campaign. PLUS, you could still win one of the great weekly prizes if you return your completed card!
Who should I contact with other questions?
Please contact the Avera McKennan Foundation at 605-322-8900 or email us.
Avera McKennan has created a way for employees to donate unused paid time off (PTO) to the Foundation in support of the Employee Giving Campaign which benefits our patients, employees and community. Simply read over the procedure below and complete the donation form.
- The PTO Donation policy would follow similar guidelines as the PTO Cash Out policy. Currently, employees have the option to receive compensation for accrued PTO without taking time away from work. To be eligible, employees must:
- be currently eligible to accrue PTO.
- have taken at least 2 pay periods of scheduled PTO during the past 12-month period (including holiday and short-term sick time) in order to promote health and well-being.
- maintain a minimum of 120 hours of PTO in their PTO bank after donation (to provide for short-term illness and possible emergencies).
- Total PTO to be donated must be a minimum of 8 hrs and may not exceed 80 hrs/calendar year.
- Requests to donate PTO are due to Human Resources by June 15. The Payroll Department will process PTO donations on the first pay period following the beginning of the fiscal year (July 1).
- Donated PTO will be cashed out at 100% of the employee’s current base rate of pay.
- Once PTO time is donated to the Avera McKennan Foundation, it cannot be reclaimed.
- Please be aware that donation of PTO hours are taxable under IRS rules. Avera will report your donation as taxable wages on your payroll check in order to withhold the appropriate taxes. The Avera McKennan Foundation encourages you to consult with your tax professional if you have questions regarding the tax treatment of your donation.
PTO Donation Form
- March 13 – April 14, 2017
Payroll deductions will appear on pay vouchers starting in July, 2017.
- Turn in your employee giving form early to be entered into prize drawings each week. The earlier you submit your pledge card, the more chances you have to win!
- Early Bird Prize
- One $250 Visa Gift Card - to be awarded at the conclusion of launch week.
- Other great gift cards including guest pass to the Avera McKennan Fitness Center, Buffalo Wild Wings, Century Theaters, Hy-Vee, Scheels, The Gas Stop Holiday stores and more will be awarded weekly throughout the campaign.
- Grand Prizes
- One $250 visa Gift Card - to be awarded at the conclusion of the campaign and chosen from all returned cards.
- NEW! One Month of Covered Reserved Parking - twelve winners will be chosen from all returned cards.
Winners will be announced each Wednesday and published on Info Online throughout the campaign.
Gifts at Work
Gifts to support Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center touch the lives of patients and families in our community every day. Here are some of the ways your gifts have made a difference in the past year.
- Avera Cancer Institute - Arts in Healing Program, Wig Salon, Cancer Fitness Program, Prayers & Squares Quilt Ministry, Spiritual Care program, Integrative Medicine Program, NEW Avera Cancer Institute Navigation Center, NEW Precision Oncology program
- Avera Children’s and Avera NICU - Child Life Program, Pediatric Social Services, Avera Children’s Champion, Safe Sleep Program (cribs), Giraffe Omnibeds, bereavement programs, "Little Footprints, Big Hearts: Campaign for Avera NICU" 2015 expansion
- Avera Behavioral Health - Avera Family Wellness Program, equipment and supplies for the child, adolescent and adult units through the “HeARTS in Healing” grants, Arts in Healing Program, navigation services, patient assistance for TMS and STEPPS treatments
- Careflight/Emergency Department - Lucas Chest Compressor, flight equipment for safer infant transports, training simulation equipment, patient assistance with flights not covered by insurance
- Dougherty Hospice House - Complete funding of Dougherty Hospice operations
- Nursing Excellence - Educational seminars, nursing simulation equipment, Magnet Conference and other scholarship offerings
- Organ & BMT Transplant - Patient transplant kits, patient assistance with travel, lodging, prescriptions and meals
- Avera Prince of Peace - "Caring for Community: Campaign for Avera Prince of Peace" capital building project and "Focus on Faith: Campaign for Sacred Heart Chapel" building project, furnishings and supplies
- Rehabilitation and Therapy - therapy equipment (Functional Electric Stem Bikes, SOLO Step, Universal Gym, etc), therapy patient outing program, internship program and patient assistance
- Walsh Family Village - Walsh Family Village operation costs
- Avera Mission - assistance to employees suffering hardships, seeking additional education through scholarships and general assistance to ALL patients in need through the Caring for Life patient and family assistance fund
- Pay it Forward Grant – funding various department projects and employee needs
|2015 - 2016 Foundation Disbursements
|Avera@Home and Avera Prince of Peace
|Avera Cancer Institute
|Patient, Family and Employee Assistance
|Avera Behavioral Health
|Avera Medical Group Health Care Clinic
|Walsh Family Village
|Avera Women's and Children's
|Education, Scholarships and Grants